This article presents a comprehensive guide outlining the essential steps in crafting a custom designed security fence solution that effectively addresses the distinct requirements of each setting.
Whether the goal is to bolster privacy, enhance durability, or implement specialised access control features, custom security fencing stands as the key to tailoring protection precisely to the needs of a particular location.
Various sites, including detention facilities, transportation hubs, utilities infrastructure, government establishments, and commercial properties, frequently require customised high-security fence solutions. For these properties, a well-designed and expertly installed perimeter fence is imperative.
Benefits of Custom Fencing solutions
Customised security fencing offers solutions that are tailor made for site specific requirements, this sets them apart from off-the-shelf options. With benefits such as greater adaptability, improved aesthetics, and more robust security, custom fences provide an ideal solution for those seeking a tailored approach to their fencing needs.
- Adaptability: Provides the flexibility and tailored approach that off-the-shelf solutions lack. You can design a secure fence that perfectly fits your specific requirements, whether it’s accommodating uneven terrain or unique property dimensions.
- Robust Security: Enhance your security features by incorporating durable materials and advanced locking mechanisms, these fences provide optimal protection for your property. Whether you are looking to keep intruders out or safeguard your premises, custom fencing offers peace of mind.
- Improved Aesthetics: Create a visually appealing fence that complements your property’s overall design. With various materials, styles, and finishes to choose from, you can achieve a fence that enhances the aesthetic appeal of your outdoor space.
In addition to being Australia’s trusted choice for custom fencing solutions we also offer a large stockholding of high-security fence products, made to Australian Standards for strength and durability using premium grade materials and cutting-edge machinery.
Assessing Your Security Requirements
When it comes to safeguarding your premises, it’s crucial to conduct a comprehensive evaluation of your security requirements. This evaluation is essential for identifying potential risks like vandalism, theft, and unauthorised access, which will subsequently inform the tailored security solutions you need.
Start by performing a site-specific security audit, meticulously assessing vulnerabilities unique to your location. This audit serves as a critical step in gaining valuable insights into areas that demand heightened protection.
To ensure a thorough assessment, collaborate closely with security fencing experts like Protective Fencing and engage with local authorities. Their specialised knowledge and experience will prove invaluable in pinpointing potential threats and devising effective countermeasures.
In summary, the process can be broken down into five key steps:
- Site Evaluation
- Threat Identification
- Design Considerations
- Budget Planning
- Technological Integration
1. Site Evaluation
The first step is to perform a perimeter walkthrough to evaluate terrain conditions, existing barriers, and vulnerable areas on-site.
Take note of any uneven ground, dense vegetation, or potential hiding spots that could compromise the security of the property. Assess the effectiveness of current fencing solutions and identify areas that require improvement or reinforcement.
Review previous incident reports to identify patterns or recurring issues related to security breaches.
Look for common vulnerabilities or weaknesses that have been exploited in the past. This analysis will provide valuable insights into the specific threats faced by the property and help tailor custom fencing solutions accordingly.
Take note of traffic patterns on the property to understand who accesses it regularly. Observe the type of vehicles used and whether there are any restrictions in place for certain areas.
By understanding the flow of people and vehicles, you can design a fencing solution that allows for efficient movement while maintaining security.
2. Threat Identification
Dealing with Vandalism
To effectively address the menace of vandalism, it’s imperative to consider aspects such as visibility, materials, and fence height within your customized fence design. Here are some essential considerations:
- Enhancing Visibility: Deter vandals by improving visibility through measures like strategically positioning surveillance cameras or implementing motion-activated lighting systems around the perimeter.
- Incorporating Vandal-Resistant Materials: To fortify your custom fence against graffiti and vandalism, consider integrating wire-based materials like anti-cut 358 fencing into the design. These specialised materials act as a formidable deterrent, creating a protective barrier that not only discourages vandalism but also makes it easier to remove unwanted markings or defacement.
- Increasing Fence Height: A taller fence can discourage casual vandals from attempting acts of vandalism on your property.
Consider the following measures:
- Access Control: Implement advanced access control mechanisms such as biometric systems that utilise fingerprint or facial recognition technology, keycard systems, or smart locking systems for enhanced security.
- Surveillance: Utilise CCTV cameras, especially in areas like storage and loading zones, as effective surveillance plays a pivotal role in thwarting theft.
- Layered Security: Consider adding deterrents like barbed wire along the top of the fence to discourage unauthorised access, and for heightened protection, implement razor wire.
Preventing Unauthorised Entry
Addressing the issue of unauthorised entry necessitates a thoughtful approach encompassing fence design, physical deterrents, and sophisticated detection systems. Key considerations include:
- Discouraging Climbing: When selecting fence designs, prioritise those that include anti-climb features, such as incorporating wire-based anti-climb fence mesh like the 358 design with a fence topping such as bulldog. Consider curved or canted fence topping. These features make scaling the fence a daunting task for potential intruders’ formidable challenge for potential intruders.
- Ground-Level Barriers: Install below-ground barriers such as concrete footings or to dissuade individuals from attempting to dig under the fence.
- Intrusion-Detection Systems: Deploy intrusion-detection systems equipped with alarms to promptly alert security personnel in case of any unauthorized entry attempts.
3. Design Considerations Material
Deciding on the right material is a crucial aspect.
The choice between steel and aluminum depends on the desired strength for security applications. The type of design elements you opt for, whether it’s mesh, solid panels, or bars, will determine the desired visibility levels and required security measures for your custom fence.
Here are some key points to consider:
- Mesh, Solid Panels, or Bars: Depending on your specific needs, you can select from different design options. Mesh fencing provides good visibility while still maintaining security. Solid panels offer greater strength, intrusion deterrence and privacy. Bars or double layers of mesh can be used for added security in certain applications.
- Material composition: Steel is known for its robustness, making it an excellent choice if durability is a priority, especially when paired with galvanizing protection. On the other hand, aluminum is suited for areas with high humidity or proximity to saltwater, however, offers less strength robustness.
- Material Lifespan: The material you choose significantly affects the overall effectiveness and longevity of your custom fencing solution. Consider factors like maintenance requirements and lifespan when deciding.
- Aesthetics and Design Balance: When it comes to choosing a custom design for your fencing solutions, it’s important to find the right balance between aesthetics and functionality. You want your fence to not only look great and enhance the overall appearance of your property, but also serve its security purpose effectively.
Height and Dimensions
When designing custom fencing solutions, it is crucial to pay attention to the design elements of height and dimensions.
These factors play a significant role in determining the security and functionality of your fence. Here are some key points to consider:
Height: For high-security applications, it is recommended to have a minimum height of 2.4 metres. This ensures that potential intruders face a considerable obstacle when trying to breach the perimeter.
Picket Spacing: The spacing between pickets is another important design consideration. Opting for narrow spacing can make it challenging for intruders to grip or climb over the fence.
By limiting their ability to gain leverage, you enhance the overall security capabilities of your custom fence.
Choosing the right design elements for your custom fencing solutions is essential to create an aesthetically pleasing and secure environment.
Consider the following options when designing your fence:
- Color: The color of your fence plays a crucial role in its overall appearance. Decide whether you want it to blend in with the surroundings or stand out as a visible deterrent based on your security objectives.
- Architectural Harmony: To achieve a visually appealing look, ensure that the design of your custom fence complements the style of the buildings it protects. This harmony enhances the overall cohesion and quality of the area.
- Aesthetic Balance: Balancing aesthetics with security considerations is vital when selecting colors and designs for your custom fence. Aim for a combination that not only pleases the eye but also provides effective security measures.
- Customisation: Customise the aesthetics of your fence according to your vision and specific requirements. Tailor its design elements, such as color, style, and drawing, to achieve both visual appeal and efficient security measures.
When you’re creating a custom fence, it’s important to follow the rules set by your local council zoning/ Development control measures.
These rules cover things like how tall your fence can be, what materials you can use, and how far your fence needs to be from the property line.
Local Zoning Laws:
- Make sure your fence complies with height, material, and setback requirements set by local zoning laws.
- Check the maximum allowable height for fences in your area.
- Verify the permitted materials for constructing fences according to local regulations.
- Determine the required setback distance between your property line and the fence.
If you work in a specific industry, you should also consider any requirements that apply to your sector. Following these regulations is essential to avoid legal problems and ensure that your custom fence works effectively.
So, make sure you keep local zoning laws and industry regulations in mind as you design your custom fence to meet all the compliance standards.
4. Budget Planning
It’s important to consider both the initial cost and long-term maintenance expenses. By evaluating these factors, you can make a wise investment that offers durability and value over time.
Consider Long-Term Maintenance Costs
One key aspect of budgeting is considering the long-term maintenance costs associated with your custom fence installation.
While certain materials and systems may have a higher initial cost, they can provide significant savings in the years to come by minimising maintenance expenses. When evaluating different options, consider factors such as:
- The durability of materials: opt for high-quality materials that are known for their longevity.
- Maintenance requirements: Choose fencing solutions that require minimal upkeep or offer free measure services.
- Potential repair costs: Assess the likelihood of repairs and factor them into your budget.
Warranties and Guarantees
Another crucial consideration when budgeting for custom fencing solutions is the inclusion of warranties and guarantees.
These can add value to your investment by providing protection against unforeseen issues or damage.
As you analyse the overall cost, remember to review warranty terms so that you understand what aspects are covered and for how long.
5. Technological Integration
Adding technology to your fence design can improve security and convenience. By incorporating advanced features, you can create a customised security system that meets your specific needs.
For example, integrating sensors into your fence design allows for automated monitoring. Smart fencing options with app-controlled features, like locking mechanisms and real-time monitoring, give control and peace of mind.
These sensors can detect movement or vibrations, immediately alerting you to any unauthorised activity near your property. With this real-time information, you can quickly respond to potential threats.
Need Some Help?
In the realm of high-security fence panels, Protective Fencing emerges as a leading provider, offering quality materials, custom fabrication, and a comprehensive in-house processing capacity.
Are you ready to enhance your property’s security with a custom fencing solution?
Protective Fencing’s team of experts is here to provide you with the perfect security fencing materials solution tailored to your unique needs.
We design, manufacture, and deliver end-to-end solutions that complement our customers’ high-security fence needs. We are committed to providing friendly customer service, focused attention to detail and fast turnaround and delivery times.
AUSTRALIA’S MOST TRUSTED FENCING COMPANY
Protective Fencing Australia has been delivering trusted, reliable, innovative security solutions since 1975. That’s why we’re Australia’s most trusted fencing partner.
Phone: 1300 436 200
This article was first published in the Steel Australia – Autumn issue – 2023