A Leap Forward For Kangaroo Fence Design
Kangaroo exclusion fencing—why is it necessary?
Australians and visitors alike love our kangaroos. We adore them for their cuteness—just think of the generations that grew up with Skippy the bush kangaroo.
And we admire their feisty spirit, we have even named two of our great sports teams (the Kangaroos and the Wallabies) after the jumping marsupials.
The kangaroo also features on the Australian coat of arms; it is said to symbolise forward progress because the kangaroo cannot step backwards easily.
So why would I need a kangaroo proof fence?
Although we love them, kangaroos get their fair share of bad press too. Kangaroos cause problems because they:
- Do not understand road rules and are frequently involved in numerous traffic accidents. The impact of a 90kg kangaroo at speed can be devastating–these accidents are sometimes fatal for the humans and frequently for the animals as well as causing severe damage to vehicles.
- Can be aggressive especially in defence of their territory or their young. They have been known to attack dogs and people sometimes resulting in severe injuries.
- Damage property including grassland and fences, and kangaroos have even been known to enter houses causing considerable damage inside.
Minimising costly and damaging interactions between kangaroos and humans requires some serious kangaroo fencing.
Fortunately, effective kangaroo exclusion fence design has come a long way.
Protective are the experts when it comes to wildlife fence design and supply and we offer a superb cost-effective solution for all your ‘roo problems.
How Much is that Kangaroo in the Window?
Actually, quite a lot.
Kangaroos are the animal most likely to be involved in accidents in Australia.
The average insurance claim for a collision with a large animal (usually a kangaroo) is around $5,000 adding up to tens of millions of dollars each year in damage according to NRMA Insurance and SGIC.
But even around houses and on farms unfriendly interactions between humans and kangaroos are increasingly common, largely because of food shortages and the reduction of the kangaroo’s natural habitat by human settlement.
Kangaroos in the wrong place can cause costly damage to pasture, fencing, pets, and people.
And with the rising cost of insurance premiums and increasingly strict health and safety requirements wildlife exclusion fencing is becoming a financial necessity as well as an ethical requirement.
Protective’s specialised kangaroo exclusion fence system includes all the elements needed for long-lasting kangaroo proof fence that will last the distance, satisfy your budget, and protect both you and the ‘roos.
We supply superior quality galvanized chain wire mesh, galvanised steel posts, hold down pins and wire cable.
A range of aperture sizes (25mm to 60mm), wire diameters (2.24mm, 2.50mm, 3.15mm, and 4mm) and coating finishes allow you to customise your fence to your exact requirements.
Our chain wire products are designed to do five things:
- Protect drivers and animals by preventing kangaroos accessing dangerous areas such as roads
- Maintain clear visibility lines for driver viewing security and pleasure
- Reduce potentially dangerous human/animal conflicts in built up areas
- Last a very long time with an enhanced lifespan due to superior galvanising properties
- Look highly attractive with a variety of finishes including Standard Galvanised, Heavy Galvanised, PVC Coated, Permaseal, Lifemax and Fusion Bonded
And with heights of up to 4.0M not even a red roo on Red Bull is never gonna get over one of our fences.
- AS1725 2010 – Chainlink fabric security fences & gates
- AS/NZS 4534 2006 – Zinc and zinc aluminium alloy coatings on steel wire
- AS/NZS 4680 2006 Hot dip galvanised (zinc) coatings on fabricated ferrous articles
- AS/NZS 4792 2006 – Hot dip galvanised (zinc) coatings on ferrous hollow sections applied by continuous or specialised process
- AS/NZ 4506 2005 – Thermoset powder coatings
- AS 2423 2002 – Coated steel wire fencing products for terrestrial, aquatic and general use
Protective fencing is one of Australia’s most highly regarded suppliers of wildlife fencing supplies.
Protective’s superior design and state of the art construction techniques have proven to be the perfect solution for the wildlife fencing challenges on the Pacific Highway upgrade.
We believe in the powerful vision of the government’s “Building Our Future” and the NSW State Government’s “NSW NOW” initiatives. Preserving the environment for future generations is an important part of our commitment to that vision.
Protective Fencing: innovation plus engineering excellence for a safe and wildlife friendly environment for now and into the future.